A Travellerspoint blog


At world's end


I'm across the border again, (I feel like I have a Deja vu‏(‏,‎ and this time at the end of the world. I'm at the southern-most city on Earth, Ushuaia.
I took an early morning bus from Puerto Natales, in one of those big busses. After two hours, in the end of nowhere (can't say it was the middle), I had to change busses. This time it was a small bus, and I sat for 13 hours next to a Czech soldier that was too big for his chair (too sexy for his shirt?!). Very uncomfortable. I arrived in Ushuaia in the evening, and went to the main street to see if I can get some help from any Israeli's I meet. They were quite easy to find, and I finally found a place that's called "The world's end" hostel.
On monday morning I have a flight back to Buenos Aires to meet Dima, and from there, west.

I spent the night on the couch in the hostel, because there were no available beds. The next morning when I woke up, some guy asked around if anybody wants to come with him to a lagoon nearby. I had an entire day to pass untill my flight to Buenos Aires, so I said I'll go with him. Eventually another girl joined aswell, and the three of us took a van, that cost 50 pesos each, there and back. When we arrived at the reserve, right at the entrance, there were dozens of sliegh-dogs! So cute. Apparently, it snows here sometimes and they have sleighs. Would have been very cool to take one had we been here in the right season. We walked in a marked route to the lagoon, most of the which was very easy to walk and distinguish, untill we had to pass through a swamp. Swamp's suck. It felt like walking on a wet carpet for most of the time, and the bits that weren't, were muddy.
We sat and relaxed on the edge of the water, untill it was time to head back. This is where the fun begins. We made our way back the way we came, or so we thought. We had to walk through the swamp again, and find the markings that lead back to the entrance. We couldn't find the marking, and we went into the forest, thinking it was the route back. It wasn't, and we got lost in the woods for over an hour. Finally, we back-tracked to the swamp we started from, found some Brits that were also looking for the way back, and together, our minds set on one thing, and one thing alone, we found the marking, not 100 meters from where we were. We met our driver at the entrance (who was a bit pissed off that we were late to the pre-set time), and he took us back to the city. There, we rested for a few hours, and went at night to an all-you-can-eat restaurant. Satisfied that we ate some dead animal's, I went back to the hostel and called it a day.

On Monday afternoon my flight leaves for BA.
Untill then, so long, and thanks for all the fish.

Posted by Son_of_Axe 20:24 Archived in Argentina

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint